Monday, November 15, 2010

Boys & Girls Club Round 2

Before heading over to the Boys & Girls Club, I was optimistic that the student my partner and I had worked with the last time would be prepared to share her experiences about her interview (since she loved to talk) and be ready to work on writing her script. When we arrived, we headed right to the Teen Room to meet the students and I did not see our student insight so I just assumed that perhaps she was just on the other bus on her way over. Unfortunately, she never showed up, along with another handful of students that were in the project. That said, surprisingly a few new students arrived but not enough for Julia and I, along with two other classmates, to have someone to work with. I think that perhaps since the project is drawn out over a longer time span, it's more difficult to keep the students from the Boys and Girls Club engaged and interested in completing their projects.

So instead we decided to explore the Boys & Girls club which turned out to be a lot of fun for not only us, but for the students. Julia and I first walked around the Media room were some students were working on their scripts. It nice to see that some students really did have a lot of information to work with and furthermore, it was interesting to observe how the dynamic varied in each group. Julia and I then decided to head down to the other side of the Club and see what some of the students were doing. A group of kids about 8 and 9 years old were preparing chicken with collard greens on plates for the other kids and they absolutely loved doing it and telling us all about it. As Julia was talking to them, I ventured to the side where I saw a bulletin board with a few report cards stapled up. A young boy came up to me and proudly pointed his out to me which showed how he had excellent grades and an excellent behavior report. He was so friendly and he ended up giving Julia and I a (requested) tour of the Boys and Girls Club. It was so nice to aimlessly interact with them and just see how they are both similar and different to us. It's also interesting to see how some are more outgoing and friendly than others. We met another young girl who had a little Step dance off with Julia (who just came in second place this past weekend at our school's step completion). Kids started crowding around and you could tell they were all enjoying the attention and seeing Julia step dance.

Overall, it was definitely not what I expected before arriving but I found today's experience to be enjoyable and lighthearted.

No comments:

Post a Comment