Monday, September 20, 2010

Learning some new vocabulary...

When I first started reading the article, "Youth Culture and Digital Media: New Literacies for New Times" by Glynda Hull I assumed it'd be a normal article discussing all the great benefits of new multi-media projects. Well by the 2nd paragraph I was ready to grab my dictionary. "Multi-modal authorship proliferate", "semiotic systems", and "textual reasoning"??? Whoaaaa. I've somewhat done a multi-media project (in high school) but this article certainly proved to me I need to catch up with my own times. Hull suggests that this new notion is becoming a component of literacy, and educational institutions must incorporate the use of these new technologies into their curriculum. I loved the line from that article that stated how the new world of digital presentation is "reinventing and invigorating what it means to communicate" (pg 230). Hull also finds a nice label to represent the overall process of creating new digital stories-- "compositional strategy". I think the word "strategy" is what the whole thing is really about. You can't just make a digital masterpiece--it requires a plan, and careful execution of that plan. Toward the end of the article, I found myself circling the word "collaboration" since the author stresses its importance. I think collaborating is not only becoming more accepted in the educational atmosphere, but supported too. That said however, I think very distinct differences exist between group projects, unauthorized assistance, and collaboration can it can sometimes get a little fuzzy.

The following are links to two YouTube videos that I think strongly related to this topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL9Wu2kWwSY
I'm sure many have seen this first video since it was very popular when it first came out. But this is a classic example of how digital effects and background music transform the final product to something that really captures a viewer's awe. An interesting thing to note also, is the use of colors... other then black, gray, and white, the video uses all red and yellow for the words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42E2fAWM6rA
I love this video as well. In the 1 minute and 45 second duration of the video, it has the ability to shift perspective in a matter of seconds. Music and digital effects (like the "Did You Know?" video above) are what really completes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment